Do you want to know How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10? In this article, we will be discussing the same topic with different methods to completely remove Microsoft Edge from Windows 10 system. If you are Windows 10 user then you may be already well familiar with Microsoft Edge. It is an inbuilt web browser which comes along with Windows 10 Operating System.
Microsoft Edge is also considered as the successor of Internet Explorer which comes with the older version of Windows like 7, 8 XP etc. But, it is found that most of the Windows 10 users are not pleased with this new web browser and they just want to uninstall Microsoft edge from their system. Even, they are unable to remove Microsoft Edge completely from their Windows 10 PC. So, here I am with different methods to uninstall edge in Windows.
How to Uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10?
You can’t easily remove this web browser from the Control Panel, like other applications. Here, we go through the different methods to remove the edge from your system, you can try one of your preferred methods.
1. Remove Microsoft Edge with Third Party Tool
This is the easiest way to uninstall edge from your system. All you have to do is just download this tool. To use this tool, follow the further steps below.
- At first, download the tool on your PC.
- Extract the downloaded file on your Desktop.
- Right Click on the Uninstall Edge.cmd and Run as Administrator.
- Now, wait for some time and let the tool do its work.
- Finally, reboot your PC.
So, this was the easiest way to uninstall the edge browser from your Computer. If it doesn’t work, let’s see the other methods to manually remove this web browser completely.
2. Manually Uninstall Edge by renaming core files
You can also try to delete or rename the Edge data files to get rid of Microsoft Edge. If you directly try to delete the folder from the Program files, this will give you a warning regarding administrator permission. So, here we will first transfer the Edge to the trusted installer ownership to the user account that we have used. Then, we can proceed to rename or remove the core data files of MS Edge.
- At first, go to the C:\Windows\SystemApps\ folder.
- Now, open the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder and right click on MicrosoftEdge file.
- Go to Properties ⇒ Security ⇒ Advanced and then Click on Change. (right to the owner).
- Click on Advanced >> Find Now and select your username from there.
- Click edit and then add your username and allow full permissions and at last press OK.
- Rename the MicrosoftEdge file to any other name which you want to give.
- Again, Repeat the above process for the MicrosoftEdgeCP file too.
- That’s all. Microsoft Edge will be no longer work on your system.
3. Remove Edge Browser from Windows 10 using Command Prompt
If you are getting any type of issue while changing the ownership of the MicrosoftEdge folder as we have discussed above, you can do the same by using cmd. You can execute the same process without entering to the folder. Here, the steps are given to do so.
- Launch the Command Prompt by pressing Windows + X key and choose Command Prompt (Admin) option from the menu.
- In the command prompt panel, enter the following commands and hit enter as given every time to run the command.
takeown /f C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
- Hit Enter and again type this command.
icacls C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe /grant administrators:f
- Again press Enter key and you have now changed the ownership of the MSEdge file.
- Follow the steps from the second method and rename the both MicrosoftEdge and MicrosoftEdgeCP file.
4. Uninstall MS Edge in Windows 10 using Powershell
- Go to the Start menu and search PowerShell from there. Right-click on Windows Powershell and then click Run as Administrator
- In the Powershell Window, type the following command.
- You will now get the detailed information of the Edge Browser. Find the PackageFullName and note down it.
- Now, type the command as given. Make sure to change the PackageFullName to the package name of MSEdge.
- That’s it. Edge browser will be completely removed from your Windows system. You should also check the different solutions to fix Windows 10 taskbar Not Working that we have discussed earlier.
Microsoft Edge Browser comes as core component with Windows 10. We can’t remove MS Edge from our system like other installed applications. So, here we have shared few working methods to uninstall Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. I hope it worked for you. If you have any question regarding this topic, you can ask me in the comments.